Tuesday, September 20, 2011

4th day of Preschool

Taking a cue from Tuesday with T's game, we started the day playing with Dora and an ice cream shop, Diego and the Animal Rescue Center, and the Fisher Price Farm. The Zoo Phonics animals wanted to meet every one. Dee Dee deer with her missing foot went to the animal rescue center. Missy Mouse wanted ice cream. Alli the Alligator seemed to want to eat everybody. Still, we accomplished learning our phonic sounds through a great social playing time game.

Seeing that my little friends needed more time to learn the Zoo Phonics then other classes, I decided to postpone our "Rhyming time" class, and just continue phonics and letter recognition for awhile. Thus, we went out on the trampoline to play with our foam Alphabet letters. I would toss a letter to a child's feet. They would have to retrieve it and bring it to the box while repeating the name and sound.

We had singing time on the trampoline. Ring around the rosie and We are the Dinosaurs were sung. Then I made up a Song for the children in the class whose names all begin with L. After singing that for a million times, they all learned what their names begin with. It is quite the catchy jingle.

We moved back into the house and practiced using crayons, but mostly markers. (got to get some washables. Sorry moms) I wrote the kids names in yellow and then had them try and trace it with blue in order to "magically turn it to green." Well the children thought it was magic!

We either ended day 3 or day 4 with reading time. Each kid picks a book and gets it read to them while the others play. That is 6 books read!

I really enjoy each class with your children and I am so glad that you let me have the chance to work with them. I will be the first to admit this is not a regular method of teaching and to some it may even look unorganized. I do however have educational goals in mind for your children. How we get there is a journey. I may work differently with each child to accomplish these goals. What are they you ask?

I want your children to know all their letters and phonic sounds and READING small vowel words by January. Don't worry we won't burn them out. Half the time they don't even know they are learning.

Cheers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment